Between September 2018 and March 2019, DataDENT worked with stakeholders to develop a set of nutrition recommendations for DHS. The “Summary of Recommendations” document describes the development process.
Each of the recommendations outline endorsers, rationale and supporting literature, proposed question wording, validation studies, and use cases. Copies of recommendations submitted to DHS and discussion are publicly available on the DHS Program Forum.
1. Coverage of nutrition interventions during antenatal care (ANC) [link]
2. Support for breastfeeding at health facilities – linked to monitoring of Baby-friendly Hospital Initiative (BFHI) [link]
3. Marketing of breastmilk substitutes (BMS) [link]
4. Counseling about breastfeeding at early critical time points [link]
5. Infant and young child feeding (IYCF) counselling 6-23 months [link]
6. Assessment of child growth [link]
7. Updated indicators for IYCF [link]
8. Minimum Dietary Diversity for Women (MDD-W) and unhealthy diets [link]
9. Measuring household food insecurity [link]
10. Food Fortification: Household Coverage of Fortifiable Foods [link]
11. Iron-containing supplements for pregnant women and young children [link]